Saturday, March 28, 2020

When is Enough, Enough?

As I write these words, the entire country is gripped in fear over the COVID-19 pandemic.
In Maryland, businesses have been ordered ... ORDERED ... to close their doors, in order to stop the spread of the virus. That was 5 days ago ... at 5:00pm on March 23, 2020.
Thus far, I have been supportive of these measures. I believe they have been effective in significantly slowing down the progress of the virus.
But at some point, this needs to stop.
So far in Maryland, we have had 781 confirmed cases, and 5 deaths. That is a mortality rate of 0.64%. Several of the deceased were quite elderly ... over 80 years old ... and it's not clear that the disease shortened their life by a significant margin.
Millions of people are unemployed right now ... over 3 million new unemployment claims were filed this week. My job is in serious jeopardy, and I know that my income is going to drop significantly in the next 30 days.
So how long does this go on?
How much human suffering are we going to bear in order to save a few lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment